If you love different decor styles and want to mix them in your home, you might wonder how to do it without creating a chaotic or mismatched look. In this blog post, we will share some tips from expert interior designers on how to achieve a cohesive style using decor such as mid-century, traditional, and rustic.

We will also show you an example of a living room that successfully mixes these three styles, courtesy of Orange Poppy Home Decor. All products and links to the products can be found at the bottom of this post. Hover Over Each Picture Below to Link to These Products. This is Emily's living room, and she wanted to create a warm and inviting space that reflects her personality and preferences. Here's how Orange Poppy Home Decor helped her achieve her dream living room:

- Start with a large rustic bookcase as the focal point of the room. This piece adds character and charm to the space, as well as providing storage and display options. The bookcase also creates a contrast with the white walls and ceiling, making it stand out.
- Place a ornate hand-carved Broche Style mirror against the back wall, near the bookcase. This mirror adds elegance and sophistication to the room, as well as reflecting light and making the space look bigger. The mirror also complements the rustic bookcase with its intricate details and antique finish.
- Choose a mid-century sofa, chair, and coffee table as the main seating area. These pieces add a touch of retro flair and modern comfort to the room, as well as providing a cozy and functional place to relax and entertain. The sofa, chair, and coffee table also have clean lines and simple shapes that balance the ornate mirror and rustic bookcase.
- Add a modern accent chair, side table, and lamp to create a reading nook or extra seating option. These pieces add some variety and interest to the room, as well as providing a pop of color and texture. The accent chair, side table, and lamp also have a sleek and minimalist design that contrasts the mid-century furniture and traditional mirror.
- Tie the look together with various decor accents such as black oval shaped framed prints on the wall, rustic vases and serving trays, black candle chandelier, plaid and striped beige and black throw pillows, and neutral Persian style rug. These accents add some personality and warmth to the room, as well as creating a harmonious color scheme and theme. The accents also blend the different styles together by incorporating elements from each one.

Here are some more tips from expert interior designers on how to mix decor styles successfully.

- Start with a neutral base. A neutral color palette can help you create a calm and balanced backdrop for your mixed decor. Choose shades of white, beige, gray, or cream for your walls, floors, and large furniture pieces. This will allow you to add pops of color and contrast with your accessories and smaller items.
- Choose a focal point. A focal point is a piece of furniture, artwork, or feature that draws attention and sets the tone for the room. You can use a focal point to introduce a different decor style or to create a statement. For example, you can use a vintage sofa, a modern painting, or a rustic fireplace as your focal point. Make sure your focal point is well-lit and visible from different angles.
- Balance the proportions. When mixing decor styles, you want to avoid overwhelming or underwhelming the space with too much or too little of one style. A good rule of thumb is to use the 80/20 rule: choose one dominant style that covers 80% of the space, and one or more accent styles that cover the remaining 20%. For example, if you want to mix Scandinavian and bohemian styles, you can use Scandinavian furniture and accessories for 80% of the room, and add some bohemian rugs, pillows, and plants for the remaining 20%.
- Mix textures and patterns. One of the easiest ways to mix decor styles is to play with different textures and patterns. Textures and patterns can add interest, depth, and personality to your space. You can mix smooth and rough textures, such as leather and velvet, or geometric and floral patterns, such as stripes and paisley. Just make sure to keep a consistent color scheme and avoid clashing or competing prints.
- Have fun and experiment. The most important tip for mixing decor styles is to have fun and experiment with different combinations. There is no right or wrong way to mix decor styles, as long as you love the result. Don't be afraid to try new things and express your creativity. You can always change or rearrange your decor if you get bored or want a fresh look.

As you can see, mixing decor styles can be fun and easy if you follow these tips from expert interior designers. You can create a unique and beautiful space that reflects your taste and style, without compromising on cohesion or harmony. If you need help with mixing decor styles in your home, contact Orange Poppy Home Decor today and let us help you transform your space!

Hover Over Each Picture Below to Link to These Products






Feeling inspired?

Visit our online store to find the perfect furniture and accessories for your home.

Join our mailing list.